quarta-feira, 1 de outubro de 2008

Homemade Paneer Cheese

After I read about paneer cheese (an indian cheese) on Barb's blog today I became more and more curious about making my own... I had seen something simillar on Country Living but it used greek yogurt instead of milk and had no cooking involved. So I decided to explore a bit before venturing...
And so I came upon some recipes and a video with easy-to-follow instructions. There are many versions and you can use it in a bunch of recipes.

So here it goes:

1. Bring 8 cups of milk to a boil (you're supposed to use whole-fat milk). I added a bit of fleur de sel.


2. Just before it boiled I added some chopped coriander.


3. When it starts to boil add 1/4 cup lemon juice (or vinegar). When it curdles, turn off the heat and let it stand, covered, for a few minutes.


4. Transfer to a thin wet cloth, adjusted over a colander on top of a bowl.

Do save the whey as it is said to be very healthy! Use it as a stock for soup or a gravy.


5. Tie the opposite ends of your colth and hold it over a jug with a spatula or spoon for about 45 minutes.


6. Untie the knots and fold the cloth gently over the cheese. Lay it on a colander and put some weight over it so it will flatten.


TADDA!!! Thanks for inspiring me Barb! :)

If you're a vegan, I suppose you could try with soy milk... I wonder if it will curdle though...

1 comentário:

Rute Carla disse...

I will try with the kids next week. Cool!